I Saw The Light

Brimstone butterfly - all photographs by Jo Sinclair


Brimstone butterfly - all photographs by Jo Sinclair     
I almost blundered straight past it. Tucked away in a murky spot on the first day of March the butterfly waited for sunshine to warm its wings. While I was sitting photographing it the clouds lifted and drenched leaves and wings bright green. The butterfly's body started to throb in response, getting blood to its muscles. Mustering the energy to fly back into the ivy that had sheltered it all winter, it reached a higher, safer place.

Brimstones are one of my favourite signs of spring. Violets are another. I go into the churchyard to find a patch I know, get down on my knees and sniff the perfume. And that's my lot; the ionine chemical in the plant temporarily anaesthetises the sense of fragrance.

Comments