Brimstone & Treacle

The tradition for a New Year's Day walk was unthwarted today. Gutsy family and friends went forth in foul wet gusty weather. At least two of the party declared it was lovely. It helped blow away the hangovers.

The Christmas and New Year's Eve cheeses made a turn again. Fine cheeses with vivid flavours that turned our thoughts to vivid dreams, strange dreams - the kind where something devilish is out to get you. On this grey day I dream of flowers, sap, long days and birdsong. Flowers spring up at my feet. A black and white picture turns into colour, like in the Wizard of Oz. I'm planning what to plant. I wish I'd harvested the viper's bugloss that bloomed cobalt and ultramarine blue visited by butter yellow brimstones and bumblebees greedy for treacle nectar sips. But I have collected evening primrose, poppy, campion, goat's beard, teasels and knapweed. Yellow, red, white, blue, purple, mauve and green.

There will be primroses in my garden, cow parsley, teasels and foxgloves. The rosettes are snug in the soil just waiting for longer days and warmth. And maybe a little shiver of white wood anemones could grow in the shade. My dogroses are arching over my bedroom window in a ferocious spray. Weeds and a whole pharmacy of wild herbs will perk up my tiny garden that was chalk and clay arable land until the 1970s.




Comments