I'll Give You The Key


                                                                                                                                                                                               All photos by Jo Sinclair

The landscape is looking over-exposed.  Bladder campion has gone to seed, but the mauve petals of scabious flowers catch the light like the scales on butterfly wings. Shimmering fields bulge with corn. The wheat is quietly making popping sounds. The combine harvesters will come soon, each chucking out a choking pall of dust. Once on horseback I galloped fast past one of the big machines, holding my breath as we passed through the manic cloud of chaff. But on my evening ride a couple of days ago all was calm as I walked towards the sundown, and the biggest disturbance was caused by me when I surprised a roe deer buck by breaking into a trot.  The animal bounded away through the barley, and I left hoof-prints around the edge of the vineyard on my way home.



All photos by Jo Sinclair




Comments